Welcome to my Blog

I am a wife, mother, and health and fitness professional. This blog is dedicated to all things fitness...products, events, and training. Please follow along!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tabata Training

The Tabata Protocol is named after Dr. Izumi Tabata. He is a former researcher at Japan’s National Institute of Fitness and Sports. Tabata is an interval training method developed by the head coach of the Japanese speed-skating team. (It is termed a protocol because Tabata and his team took the speed-skating coach’s workout and studied it to quantify how effective it really was.) The Tabata workout consists of six to seven 20-second full-speed sprints (or as many reps as you can do) interspersed with rest periods of 10 seconds.

With a special thanks to Jess over at blondeponytail for hooking me up with a gymboss timer, I completed my first  tabata training with a client.

As you can see....


the gymboss is small, light weight, and a fun little tool. It did all of the counting for me so I could check out my clients form as she moved through the exercises. 

Here is my client Mo, after her round of Tabata Crunches....



 Her tabata  plie  kettle bell squats..


And her round of tabata TRX squats...


We mixed in a few other tabata's and Mo got a full body workout!

All in all I think it was a quality workout and I think my first round using tabata training went well. There is always room for improvements, and after seeing Mo go through this session I can already see where I will make some tweaks for next time!

Thanks to Mo for playing along at tonight's session. Go check our her blog Hard Body Here I Come! Click HERE

No comments: