Welcome to my Blog

I am a wife, mother, and health and fitness professional. This blog is dedicated to all things fitness...products, events, and training. Please follow along!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Running Like an......Astronaut??

If you recall from a previous post, I ruptured a popiteal cyst in March. I've been struggling with pain, swelling, and have been having difficulty with mobility ever since. 

Boooooo.

So I started physical therapy. I am happy to report I have been having great success!

We've actually started running too!

On a Alter-G Treadmill.

Essentially, it is an antigravity treadmill. It takes off your body weight and allows you to continuing running without as much impact. 

So, after a brief warm up on the bike, I slip into my rockin' blue Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 shoes
and then this ever flattering pair of shorts...


They are like wetsuit material and they zip my into the treadmill.

We pull the treadmill bubble  up to my waist, zip the shorts to the bubble, and it fills with air.  It fills with enough air to lift me up, it can be adjusted to allow for a variety of settings providing more or less weight bearing. 

My fave Mizuno shoes and my fave green Nike hat!

I started at 1/2 mile with 50% weight bearing. It felt super weird! It was like I was running on a cloud!

At the last appointment, I ran 2 miles at 70% weight bearing. This week we are going to try a full weight bearing run and if all goes well I will be released to hit the trails by next weekend!!!!

At first I felt like Boy In The Bubble, all awkward and weird. Now, I've decided it's more like astronaut training. Much more badass!


When in doubt, always be an astronaut right????
Unless you can be Batman, then always be Batman!

No comments: