Welcome to my Blog

I am a wife, mother, and health and fitness professional. This blog is dedicated to all things fitness...products, events, and training. Please follow along!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

What It Takes To Be an Ironman: PART ONE

Over this past triathlon season, I got asked many times how I fit it all in. The Swimming, the Biking, the Running, the Family time, and the Me time.

I thought I would break down training for an Ironman into a 3 part "mini series. I will do individual blog posts about each discipline, talk about training, techniques, and gadgets that helped make my Ironman a successful one!

First SWIMMING.


Training for an Ironman is a lot of swimming....and I mean a lot. The Y that we belong to is a 25 yard pool which translates to about 88 laps for 2.4 miles. Yes...down and back 88 times. 

If you are anything like me, once you start your workout you get in the zone and get lost in time. For me...that meant loosing track of laps in the pool. 

So I bought a lap counter similar to this one..


It was $25 on Amazon. You can find ones that simply track laps and ones that get as techy as counting laps, timing splits, timing full swim time etc. 

Personally, I kept it simple.

I varied my workouts quite a bit in the beginning of my season. I did some long, slow days; some days focusing on form and sighting in the water; and some days I worked on speed doing intervals and sprint work. Varying your workouts will make you much stronger in the water. Once my swim workouts got long, I kept my workouts to focusing on covering the distance, maintaining good form, and sighting.

OPEN WATER SWIM PRACTICE!!

It is a must!


Swimming in open water is completely different than swimming in a pool. In order to stay on course while out in the open water, sight frequently and use a wider arm position. Keeping your arms wider helps you swim straighter. For Triathlete, keeping your focus on your arms during the swim will save your legs for later in the race. 

How do you get in these open water swim practices safely??

I was fortunate to do all of my big races with Leukemia and Lymphoma's Society's TEAM In Training program. This program not only provided coaching and group workouts, it also organized numerous open water swim practices. Not to mention giving you a noble mission to train for....who doesn't want to help cure cancer?!?!?

Not wanting to fundraise for a specific cause? Check out Facebook or Twitter for the race you are entered in. Some Race Directors will hold open water practices before the event to help participants prepare for the upcoming race. So, check out event social media sites and follow along! 

If you would like to share your insights, tips, or techniques.... PLEASE SHARE!!  Got a cool gadget you love....PLEASE SHARE!!

Leave a comment sharing your thoughts and cool tricks!!




No comments: