Welcome to my Blog

I am a wife, mother, and health and fitness professional. This blog is dedicated to all things fitness...products, events, and training. Please follow along!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Healthy AND Easy Mexican Crockpot Chicken

There is a saying in the fitness world that we trainers like to use quite often...
"you can't out exercise a bad diet".

It is a sound saying, one based in fact. The one exception to that rule.....training for an Ironman.

The last 6-7 weeks of my Ironman training I could literally eat whatever I wanted....didn't matter the portions....and not gain weight. 

After the race, I took some time off, let my body heal and recuperate. I took 4 days off of any exercise and ate what I craved, thinking I was "listening to my body". I let myself do this for about a week, ok so maybe it was two weeks.

 Then I checked in.....I had gained 6 pounds and put on 2% in body fat.  IN TWO WEEKS!!!

Wow....So....note to self....ice cream is not a good recovery food.

WHAT??

Needless to say, I've had to make some changes. The past 3-4 weeks I have really started to pay attention. I am back to my food/exercise journal, logging religiously, and proud to report I am back down in both weight and body fat!

I have moved from a carb lovers diet, one of the endurance athlete brand, to a lower carb/more protein diet, more of the regular more appropriate for everyone brand! 

Not only am I a Personal Trainer, but I teach fitness classes, run a small fitness business, teach at 2 gyms, run a household, and am a mom to a very cute 6 year old. So I'm busy and always on the look out for quick, healthy meals!

Here's my fave this month...my version of a healthy AND easy Mexican crockpot chicken!

Throw one bag of frozen chicken breasts into your crockpot, one can of stewed diced tomatoes, and half a jar of salsa. Set it on low and go!

That is it!!


When you get home from work, your house smells fantastic. The chicken is so tender that I literally shredded the entire crockpot full of chicken using my fork....directly in the crockpot!!

My son and I ate dinner and then I packaged up the rest of the chicken into portioned sized tupperware!

Lunch for the rest of the week my friends!!


I use the chicken on salads, for fajitas, in tacos, and love it straight out of the container!

So how does this little recipe stack up nutritionally??

I plugged the recipe into caloriecount.com. The Nutrition facts you see are based on one serving, one chicken breast. 




Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 204 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
291
Calories from Fat 
56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
6.2g
10%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
147mg
49%
Sodium 
390mg
16%
Total Carbohydrates 
2.0g
1%
Dietary Fiber 
0.5g
2%
Sugars 
1.0g
Protein 
55.8g
Vitamin A 2%Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 3%Iron 13%
Nutrition Grade B+


* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points


Not to shabby if you ask me!




~What are your favorite "go to"     recipes when your tight on time?

No comments: